Our celebrated Cabernet Sauvignons tell the story of site so beautifully; reflecting the impact of soil type, gradient, the way the vineyard faces, its altitude and whether it is located close to the coast, on the mountain slopes or further inland, or whether it’s dry-farmed, trellised or maintained as bush vines.
They also aptly hero the right foods, delivering mouthfuls of delicious flavour bursts of black and dark red fruits like currants, berries and plums with oak nuances.
Here are some useful facts about Cab (as it’s informally known), a noble grape renowned for its capacity to produce top-quality, age-worthy and collectible reds:
- is the child of one white and one red parent: Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon blanc;
- has long been associated with France’s famous Bordeaux wine region, with the first major plantings dating to the 1800s;
- has an immediately recognisable aroma and taste of black and dark red fruits like currants, berries and plums and stands up extremely well to ageing in wood
- produces relatively small-sized and thick-skinned berries with a high ratio of fruit to skin and pip (The skins contribute to its depth of colour, and the pips to its tannins);
- being thick skinned, it more resistant to rot than thinner skinned varieties;
- is a late ripener and responds well to the Cape’s relatively warm growing conditions;
- is South Africa’s most widely planted red wine grape;
- has been grown in South Africa since the late part of the 19th century and has long been associated with the country’s most prestigious red wines;
- is super food-friendly and a great match with robust dishes such as pâtés and steaks, stews and casseroles, roasts and mature cheeses.
Ready to take it to the next level?
Here’s a great recipe to experiment with, while pouring that glass of Cab. Let’s get #Cabsavvy on #CabSauvDay2022!
Chakalaka crumb crusted rack of lamb and creamy morogo with Nederburg Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon
*Vegetarian option: Chakalaka crumb crusted large mushrooms and creamy Morogo
On a mission to woo, impress or treat? Take a classic French dish and amp it up SA style with a big, bold bite to shoot the lights out. Simple but sensational it exudes sophistication and calls for a head-turning wine star to stop you in your tracks.
Discover more here.
Buy wine online:
And don’t forget to purchase the new vintage of our Private Bin Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon - the 2018 that’s already, pre-release, earned a gold medal at The Drinks Business Global Cabernet Sauvignon Masters 2022, and another gold (95 points) at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2022. Perhaps time to stock up?