Here at Nederburg, we’re all about good taste when it comes to local flavour or life in general. Good taste is non-negotiable, we say! That’s why we’ve decided to collaborate with Funky Ouma, a quality local food brand born from the passion and skill of Anneke van Rooyen, a funky grandma of 10 grandchildren who has been playing around with food and spices all her life, but only decided at the age of 67 to launch her own business together with her youngest daughter, Johannita Eksteen. The other reason we’ve partnered with Funky Ouma, is that they’re based in our home town of Paarl, and that’s another thing we’re obsessed with; supporting local!
Spoil yourself and your Valentine by purchasing six bottles of our deliciously refreshing Grenache Carignan Rosé 2021 that earned a prestigious gold medal at Rosé Rocks 2021, for only R510, and receive a free tin of Funky Ouma Seafood Spice (but note, this special offer is only applicable to the first 30 orders placed via our online shop).
That’s not all. Reimond van der Walt, head chef of The Manor restaurant at our farm in Paarl, has shared his treasured mussel recipe, incorporating some of Funky Ouma’s impressive oils and spices.
RECIPE: CREAMY WHITE WINE MUSSELS
Paired with Nederburg Grenache Carignan Rosé 2021
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh garlic, crushed
2 tsp Funky Ouma Chilli Oil
1 cup white wine, e.g., Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc 2021
1 cup fresh cream
450g half-shell mussels
Salt & black pepper, to taste
Funky Ouma Seafood Spice, to taste
1 lemon, juice & zest
½ cup parsley, chopped
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and sauté the onion, garlic and chilli oil for around 5 minutes.
2. Add the white wine and simmer until reduced by two thirds. Then add the cream and continue simmering.
3. Add the mussels and cover the pan with a lid. Steam the mussels over low heat, steam until cooked (about 9 minutes).
4. Remove the pan from the heat and season with salt, pepper and seafood spice. Stir through the lemon juice, zest and parsley.
5. Serve with some freshly baked bread and a glass of chilled Nederburg Grenache Carignan Rosé 2021.
You might be wondering why this mussel recipe is such a treat with our revitalising dry rosé? White winemaker, Pieter Badenhorst, explains: “It’s because of the body and juiciness of the wine and its tempting flavours of melon, cherry and pomegranate with a subtle floral note and pleasantly refreshing acidity.”
Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Happy Valentine’s Day 2022!