Paired with Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Beautiful Lady Gewürztraminer
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 piece of white bread
- 250 ml milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp medium strength curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 500 g mince
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp apricot chutney
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 60 ml raisins (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 3 bay leaves
- Rice and chutney to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C and take a sip of Nederburg’s The Beautiful Lady.
- Soak the bread in the milk.
- Fry the onions in a little bit of oil until translucent
- Add the carrots, green pepper, garlic and ginger, salt, sugar and all of the spices and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the mince and fry until browned. Take another sip of The Beautiful Lady.
- Squeeze the excess milk from the bread (keep the left-over milk aside for later).
- Break the bread apart and add to the mince along with the tomato paste, chutney, vinegar and raisins.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and transfer to a small oven-proof dish.
- Stir together the remaining milk and eggs and pour over the mince. Empty your glass and pour another one.
- Top with bay leaves and bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes, until the topping is set and just browned.
- Serve with rice and chutney, and of course, The Beautiful Lady!
Nederburg is currently offering a 20% discount on wines across it’s multi-tiered range, including the Heritage Heroes collection of which The Beautiful Lady forms part of, when you order six bottles or more online. A delivery fee of R95 is applicable on all orders. Deliveries will only be dispatched once Nederburg is legally allowed to do so. The team will keep customers updated on their orders and expected delivery date. This promotion ends on 31 May 2020. Terms and conditions apply.