Wondering how adept we are in the making of one of South Africa’s most popular cultivars, Sauvignon blanc? Well, the proof is in the pudding…
We’re absolutely thrilled that four of our Sauvignon blanc wines were awarded 90+ scores and gold medals by the esteemed judging panel of The Drinks Business Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters 2020 in the United Kingdom (UK), one of the most important markets for our wines. The scores were allocated as follows:
- Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc 2020: 93 points (gold medal)
- Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Young Airhawk Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (wooded): 93 points (gold medal)
- Nederburg D234 Auction Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2016: 91 points (gold medal)
- Nederburg Two Centuries Sauvignon Blanc 2016 (wooded): 91 points (gold medal)
Each made in a unique style, these wines are an absolute pleasure to make as well as to drink, according to our white-winemaker, Pieter Badenhorst.
“What’s really encouraging, is the high score given to our core range Sauvignon blanc, made from fruit grown in the Darling, Stellenbosch and Ceres regions which are all cool-climate winegrowing areas,” he states.
“The 2020 vintage of this specific wine is the first iteration of our refreshed wine styling introduced across the range during the latter part of last year. The core range wines have been tweaked for greater freshness and fruit concentration, better balance, a more appealing texture and improved weight on the palate. They are also all vegan-friendly. We’ve been able to achieve this largely as the result of our continually improving understanding of the vines and their location that deepens with each succeeding vintage.”
Our white-winemaking team is equally proud of the high scores achieved by the other three Sauvignons, all made from top-quality fruit sourced from vineyards in Darling. “Some of our best Sauvignon blanc fruit come from the cool-climate Darling area,” Pieter explains. “So, it’s really rewarding to receive global praise for our expression of fruit from this region.”
He concludes: “As a team, we enjoy working with Sauvignon blanc since it’s such a fragile variety and super-sensitive to its environment in the vineyard but also the cellar. It’s very hands-on.”
To add the awarded wines to your collection, take advantage of three consecutive monthly deals featuring our lauded Sauvignon blancs:
- March deal: R515 for 5 x Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc and 1 x Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Young Airhawk 2018
- April deal: R635 for 5 x Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc and 1 x Two Centuries Sauvignon Blanc 2016
- May deal: R555 for 5 x Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc and 1 x Nederburg Auction Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2016
Click here to purchase the March deal.